Travel Meals Charged to Grants and Contracts
Meals charged to grants are individual meals consumed while on business-related travel. In general, business meals are not to be charged to a federal grant or contract unless the terms specifically allow it.
- Alcohol cannot be charged to a federal grant account.
- Employees must select either actual expenses or per diem for the entire trip.
Actual Expense Method
- Required Documentation
- Receipt(s) are required if meal is $75 or more.
- Receipts must include date, name and location of restaurant and amount of expense.
- Detailed/itemized receipts are required.
- Refer to federal per diem rates on the General Services Administration website. Local units may have a more restrictive policy.
- For the first and last days of travel, reduce the per diem by 25%.
- Reduce the per diem for any meals that are provided as part of a conference or as a business meal:
- 25% for breakfast
- 25% for lunch
- 50% for dinner